Confusing Appointment

July 26, 2007

I got back from the doctor a few minutes ago.  I’m not exactly sure how it went.  I’m not sure it’s a good sign when I come home confused.  Of course, I wasn’t the only one confused.  My doctor seems a bit at a loss what to do now too.

Okay, from the start.  I’m gaining weight at last, but not too much.  My blood pressure is perfect as usual, but my pulse was racing, the nurse said.  Definitely from the medicine.  BabyN’s heartbeat is the same as usual, and I’m measuring 32 weeks.  They decided to do my group beta strep test today, so I got to strip from the waist down.  I thought they’d said they usually do that test later, but maybe they just did mine early to make sure it got done before BabyN decided to show up.  After that, I was declared to be basically done and to get dressed again while they got the doctor.

The doctor came in and asked mostly about the medicine and if it was helping the contractions.  It’s not.  Yesterday was as bad as usual, with several contractions being immensely more intense (not painful, but definitely more uncomfortable).  The doctor did not like hearing that.  She decided it was a good idea to get that swab again to tell whether I was at high risk for pre-term labor in the next few weeks.  The nurse-practioner came back in after I’d stripped again to do that.  I was done with that and about to get dressed again when she decided to ask the doctor if that was it.  Of course it wasn’t.  She wanted a cervical check as well.  The good news is that I’m still closed, even though she mentioned that it didn’t feel exactly like it should.  She didn’t seem worried, so I won’t worry either.  After that, it really was over.

PJ wasn’t particularly happy the whole time, but he was a trooper.  It was only bad when he started screaming when my legs were up in the stirrups, and I most definitely couldn’t comfort him at the time.  Anyway, I guess the verdict is that I’m supposed to stay on the meds and take it easy until they get the results from the swab.  If it’s negative, as both the doctor and I suspect it will be, then there’s no point in staying on the medicine.  At least I haven’t been put on bedrest yet, and as long as the test comes back negative, I doubt I will be just yet.  The doctor seems reluctant to go to those lengths if the only symptom of pre-term labor I’ve shown is frequent Braxton-Hicks that aren’t changing anything.